Participant Funding Program Decision - Regulatory Oversight Report for Canadian Nuclear Power Generating Sites: 2018
On April 10, 2019, the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (CNSC) announced that it was offering a total of $35,000 under its Participant Funding Program (PFP) to assist members of the public, Indigenous peoples and stakeholders in reviewing CNSC staff’s Regulatory Oversight Report for Canadian Nuclear Power Generating Sites: 2018 (2018 NPGS Report), and submitting written comments to the Commission. In addition, the CNSC will allow Indigenous intervenors the opportunity to make oral presentations in the spirit of reconciliation and in recognition of the Indigenous oral tradition of sharing knowledge.
Participant funding was made available by the CNSC:
- to help provide new, distinctive and valuable information to the Commission through informed and topic-specific interventions
- to assist interested parties in reviewing CNSC staff’s 2018 NPGS Report and submitting written comments to the Commission
A Funding Review Committee (FRC), independent from the CNSC, was established to review the funding applications received by the CNSC’s PFP administrator, and to make recommendations on the allocation of up to $35,000 for eligible applicants.
The FRC members were:
- Paul Scott, retired regional director of the Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency’s Vancouver office
- Bruce Young, retired Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency director
- Steve Burgess, retired Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency director
The CNSC received five PFP applications requesting a total of $49,619.25, and these applications were reviewed by the FRC on June 14, 2019.
Eligibility and funding criteria
For more information on participant funding and how it works, including details on eligibility and funding criteria, please read the PFP guide.
CNSC participant funding decision
The CNSC has carefully considered the FRC’s recommendations on the allocation of participant funding for the 2018 NPGS Report, and has approved the reimbursement of up to $30,561.25 to the following recipients:
|Applicant||Maximum amount of available funding|
|Canadian Environmental Law Association||$9,300|
|Grand Conseil de la Nation Waban-Aki||$6,971.25|
|Lake Ontario Waterkeeper||$10,100|
Participant Funding Program Administrator, CNSC
- Date modified: