Solid radioactive waste management facility
Environment assessment (EA) start date: April 7, 2001
FEAI reference number: 27931
Proponent: NB Power
Location: Point Lepreau, New Brunswick
- January 13, 2004 – The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (CNSC) announces decision to amend the waste facility operating licences for the Point Lepreau (SRWMF)
- July 24, 2003 – CNSC announces decision on renewal of New Brunswick Power Corporation's operating licence for the Point Lepreau SRWMF
- July 17, 2003 – Notice public hearings – September 25, 2003 and November 26, 2003
- April 17, 2003 – Request for public comment – Draft EA screening report – Comment period closed
- March 18, 2003 – Request for public comment – Draft EA screening report
- March 7, 2003 – Revised notice – Public hearing – April 10, 2003 and June 27, 2003
- January 29, 2003 – Notice public hearings – April 10, 2003 and June 27, 2003
- June 24, 2002 – CNSC announces decision on EA guidelines for modifications to the Point Lepreau SRWMF
- March 19, 2002 – Notice public hearings – May 22, 2002
- March 8, 2002 – Draft EA guidelines – Comment period closed on March 8, 2002
- February 8, 2002 – Request for public comment on the draft environmental assessment guidelines
- February 8, 2002 – Draft EA guidelines
The CNSC has received notice from NB Power of its intent to apply for authorization for modification and construction of new structures at the Solid Radioactive Waste Management Facility in Point Lepreau, New Brunswick.
Before the CNSC makes its decision on NB Power's application, an EA must be completed in compliance with the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act. Because this project requires registration under the Environmental Impact Assessment Regulation of the New Brunswick Clean Environment Act, the federal and provincial EA processes are being carried out in a harmonized and co-operative manner.
The proposed modifications and construction of new structures are needed in order for NB Power to manage radioactive waste resulting from refurbishment activities being considered by NB Power for the Point Lepreau Nuclear Generating Station (NGS). All construction activities would occur within the area of the Point Lepreau SRWMF currently licensed by the CNSC.
The purpose of the EA is to identify the possible environmental effects of the modification and construction of new structures at the Point Lepreau SRWMF, and to determine whether these effects can be mitigated before the project is allowed to proceed.
The Point Lepreau SRWMF project consists of the following elements:
- modification and construction of physical works within the Point Lepreau SRWMF
- operation of the physical works, including receipt of refurbishment wastes
- refurbishment activities which generate wastes requiring management in the SRWMF
- handling and transport of those wastes
For questions or information directly related to the EA of this project, please contact:
For questions or information directly related to the environmental assessment of this project, contact the CNSC.
The CNSC regulates the use of nuclear energy and materials to protect health, safety, security and the environment, and to implement Canada's international commitments on the peaceful use of nuclear energy; and to disseminate objective scientific, technical and regulatory information to the public.
- Date modified: