TRIUMF is a joint venture by a consortium of Canadian universities. It receives a contribution through the National Research Council Canada and building capital funds from the Government of British Columbia. TRIUMF is licensed to operate two 30 MeV cyclotrons and the particle accelerator located in Vancouver, British Colombia. The CNSC has full-time, dedicated staff who periodically perform inspections to evaluate operations and verify compliance with regulatory requirements and license conditions.
- Location: Vancouver, British Columbia
- Licensee: TRIUMF Accelerators Inc.
- Status: Operating
- Types of accelerators:
- Class I:
- 500 MeV cyclotron
- Class II:
- 42 MeV cyclotron
- (2) 30 MeV cyclotrons
- 13 MeV cyclotron
- radioactive ion beam accelerator
- Class I:
- Licence issued (accelerator operating licence): July 1, 2012
- Expiration: June 30, 2022
- Start of routine operation: 1975
- Licensing documentation: Request a copy of TRIUMF’s licence and licence condition handbook by email.
TRIUMF has worked on developing positron emission tomography scanners and radiotracers, which are used to image the location of cancer or other diseases in humans. TRIUMF also tests computer hardware and superconductors, which are used for technology development. In research on outer space, TRIUMF researchers are discovering how and why large stars explode as supernovae.
Latest CNSC facility-specific announcements
- March 23, 2022 – Public hearing on TRIUMF Accelerators Inc.’s application to renew its operating licence for its Class IB particle accelerator facilities
- May 2, 2012 - CNSC announces decision to renew the particle accelerator operating licence for TRIUMF Accelerators Inc.
Focus on safety and the environment
The CNSC is committed to protecting the safety of people and the environment. Click below for current environmental and safety performance data for TRIUMF.
As part of CNSC's regulatory requirements, major licensees must have robust public information and disclosure programs in place.
Public Information and Disclosure Program: TRIUMF Accelerators Inc.
- Date modified: