Exposure device operators
To perform gamma radiography or operate an exposure device in Canada, the law requires you to be certified by the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (CNSC) as an exposure device operator (EDO) or be working under the direct supervision of a certified EDO.
As of January 1, 2017, the CNSC will consider a worker qualified to operate an exposure device only if they have a valid EDO certification card (that is, a card issued on or after February 1, 2013 that has not expired). As a result, any EDO whose certification card does not have an expiry date or whose certification card has expired will not be considered qualified to work as a certified EDO.
The CSA Group's document CSA PCP-09, Certified Exposure Device Operator Personnel Certification Guide is the official guide for CNSC EDO certification and renewal of certification.
More information on EDO certification:
- EDO candidates – for individuals looking to become exposure device operators
- Certified EDOs – for individuals seeking renewal of certification, seeking a certification card with an expiry date, or seeking to replace a damaged, lost or stolen certification card
- Vocational training providers – for educational institutions and other organizations that design or offer vocational training programs for EDO candidates
- On-the-job training providers – for educational institutions, gamma radiography licensees and other organizations that design or offer on-the-job training programs for EDO candidates
- Licensees who employ certified EDOs
The following forms are relevant to EDO certification:
- Application for Certification as an Exposure Device Operator (FORM-EDO-I)
- Exposure Device Operator On-the-Job Training Attestation Form (FORM-EDO-I-OJT)
- Application for the Renewal of an Exposure Device Operator Certification (FORM-EDO-R)
- Exposure Device Operator Employer Attestation Form (FORM-EDO-R-A)
- Application for Replacement of a Damaged, Lost or Stolen Exposure Device Operator Certification Card (FORM-EDO-DLS)
- Certified Exposure Device Operator Continuing Education Log (FORM-EDO-R-CE)
- Certified Exposure Device Operator Work Log (FORM-EDO-R-CW)
Need more information?
If you have any questions about EDO certification, email the CNSC or call 1-800-668-5284.
Additional CNSC resources
- CNSC's Industrial Radiography Working Group
- Working Safely with Industrial Radiography (information booklet)
- Proper Care and Use of Personal Dosimeters (poster)
- Guidelines for Handling Packages Containing Nuclear Substances – INFO-0744 (poster) (PDF)
- Keeping Radiation Exposures and Doses "As Low as Reasonably Achievable (ALARA)" (regulatory guide)
- Log in to the sealed source tracking system (SSTS)
- Date modified: