Blind River Refinery
Cameco Corporation (Cameco) owns and is licensed to operate the Blind River Refinery, located in Blind River, Ontario. The CNSC has full-time, dedicated staff who periodically perform inspections to evaluate operations and to verify compliance with regulatory requirements and licence conditions.
- Facility Information
- Latest CNSC Facility-Specific Announcements
- Disclosure Protocol
- Regulatory Reporting
- Other Key Topics
Location: Blind River, Ontario
Licensee: Cameco Corporation
Licence issued: March 1, 2012
Licence expires: February 28, 2022
Start of commercial operation: 1983
The facility refines uranium concentrates (yellowcake) from uranium mines around the world including northern Saskatchewan to produce uranium trioxide (UO3), an intermediate product of the nuclear fuel cycle. The UO3 is then shipped the Port Hope Conversion Facility for further processing.
Operating Performance of the Blind River Refinery
The CNSC produces an annual report on the performance of uranium fuel cycle and processing facilities, which includes the Blind River Refinery. The report provides information on events, facility modifications, and areas of increased regulatory focus. It also tracks data on:
- public and worker radiation dose
- lost-time incidents for workers
- environmental monitoring results
- environmental reportable spills and corrective actions taken
- current financial guarantees for future decommissioning costs
Read the report to learn about the operating performance of the Blind River Refinery.
Latest CNSC Facility-Specific Announcements
- March 13, 2018: CNSC releases 2017 Independent Environmental Monitoring Program results for Blind River Refinery. Results confirm that the public and the environment around the facility are protected.
- November 16, 2017: The Commission accepts Cameco Corporation’s revised financial guarantee for the future decommissioning of the Blind River Refinery
- September 25, 2015: CNSC publishes 2013 and 2014 Independent Environmental Monitoring Program results for Blind River Refinery
- February 29, 2012: CNSC Announces Decision on Renewal of Operating Licence for Cameco Corporation's Nuclear Fuel Facility in Blind River, Ontario
As part of CNSC's regulatory requirements, major licensees must have robust public information and disclosure programs in place.
- Regulatory oversight report for uranium and nuclear processing facilities in Canada
- Regulatory actions
- Event Reports for Major Nuclear Facilities
Other Key Topics
- Date modified: