CNSC Participant Funding Program decision: CNSC staff meetings with the Clearwater River Dene Nation regarding NexGen’s Rook I Project
The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (CNSC) offered funding under its Participant Funding Program (PFP) to facilitate three (or more) meetings between the Clearwater River Dene Nation and CNSC staff. The purpose of the meeting was to discuss a consultation protocol and rights impact assessment in relation to NexGen’s Rook I Project.
The information gathered from the meeting will be included in the relevant Commission member document and presented directly to the Commission.
The CNSC made participant funding available to:
- enhance Indigenous and stakeholder participation in the CNSC’s environmental assessment and licensing processes
- help Indigenous peoples, the public and stakeholders bring valuable information to the Commission
A funding review committee (FRC), independent from the CNSC, was established to review the funding application received by the CNSC’s PFP administrator and to make recommendations on the allocation of funding to the applicant.
The FRC members were:
- Paul Scott, retired regional director of the Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency’s Vancouver office
- Bruce Young, retired Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency director
- Steve Burgess, retired Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency director
The CNSC received one PFP application requesting a total of $49,500, which was reviewed by the FRC.
Eligibility and funding criteria
For more information on participant funding and how it works, including details on eligibility and funding criteria, please read the PFP guide.
CNSC participant funding decision
The CNSC carefully considered the FRC’s recommendation on the allocation of participant funding for assisting the Clearwater River Dene Nation to meet with CNSC staff and approved the reimbursement of up to $49,500.
|Applicant||Maximum amount of available funding|
|Clearwater River Dene Nation||$49,500|
Participant Funding Program Administrator, CNSC
- Date modified: