Certification requirements of Class II prescribed equipment
Class II prescribed equipment is regulated in accordance with the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (CNSC) Class II Nuclear Facilities and Prescribed Equipment Regulations, which specify that:
"No person shall use Class II prescribed equipment unless
- it is a certified model; or
- it is used in accordance with a licence that authorizes its use for development purposes or for scientific research that is not conducted on humans."
The CNSC requires the certification of Class II prescribed equipment to ensure that any devices being purchased and installed are operated in accordance with the Nuclear Safety and Control Act (NSCA) and the Class II Nuclear Facilities and Prescribed Equipment Regulations. CNSC requirements for certification are independent of other requirements imposed by other federal, provincial and territorial authorities.
Although vendors of prescribed equipment typically apply for certification, it is the licensee who is responsible for ensuring that all devices being used are certified by the CNSC. With some exceptions, device certification (or recertification) is required for:
- introduction of prescribed equipment to the Canadian market
- design change to previously certified equipment
- change in model name
- packaging or repackaging of individual certified equipment
- change in corporate ownership, name or location
- rebranded equipment
- changes to information previously provided for device certification
Read about the fees associated with certification, or read the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission Cost Recovery Fees Regulations.
To submit your Class II prescribed equipment for certification, please see the CNSC's regulatory requirements in REGDOC-1.5.1, Application Guide: Certification of Radiation Devices or Class II Prescribed Equipment (formerly RD/GD-254).
To verify that the Class II prescribed equipment you are using is certified, consult the list of CNSC Certified Class II Prescribed Equipment.For further information, contact the CNSC.
- Date modified: